Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Flower hair clips






I found this handy dandy idea on a blog...credits will come when I track it down...so commenced to try it. So easy and sooo cute when done!
 I'm not so good at pictures when in process so I'll try to explain.



Find some scraps of material, kinds that will melt easy. White and very light will end up with a brown tinge on the edges.
I cut random (meaning they weren't perfectly symmetrical) circles out of the fabric. Each one smaller or larger than the others.
Then light a taper candle or one that you can easily get to the flame. Melt the edges and lightly the center of the fabric. The fabric will curl and at times the wrong way so, if you don't mind burnt fingers, quickly turn fabric in while still soft and warm-hot. Some I melted more than others to give a more petaled look.

With a glue gun I glued each layer together, smashing the glue flat so there wouldn't be a bump in the center. One of mine I glued a button in the center but the others I simply burned my fingers with a very small piece of fabric.
Then I glued them to a plain hair clip. Best to put glue on open clip then press flower to glue. If it's closed, it's easy to end up with glue blobs where it will catch the hair and that makes little girls yell. (how well I know)
I also made individual petals and glued them to a small, round piece of denim to hold them together. I didn't get a photo of that one. Neither did I think to get pictures of my flowered girls in their Sunday best but I got Belle to model quick in her pjs last night. :)
Another thing you can do is clip it to a head band which is what I do for my short haired little girl. Cut about an inch strip off the leg of a (clean) pair of panty hose or stockings. When you stretch it it will curl up and you won't see the raw edge. Slip around head and put clip in place.
Its called a free hair day! I would have thrown the hose, tossed the too-small-for-any-good material and the clips were lying about unused.
Now, where else can I use these flowers?


3 comments:

  1. Those are cute! how did I miss seeing them when I was there? hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that IS so cute! I can see Jacqui groaning about wearing any but maybe Aleiayh and izzy would humor me! Def going to try it! Right after I buy a glue gun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute! My friend makes a similar flower.. but cuts each petal every inch or so all the way around it.. kinda so it actually makes petals!.. (um not really sure how to explain this!).. but it's super cute! :)
    Jodiann

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to compliment, be a critic, or just plain, comment! I'd love to hear from you.