Saturday, April 17, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

My girls will squeal, yell, clap their hands and generally put up quite a clamor when I say we're having baked oatmeal for breakfast. I make it when they are sick and won't eat anything else and they get it for every meal of the day! I took these pictures about a month ago but the pan is sitting next to me once again and I remembered I was going to blog it...so.... The original recipe comes from The Best of Country Cooking 1999 but I tweaked it to fit my taste.

3 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla


Mix all ingredients. Spread evenly in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Serve immediately with milk, fruit, brown sugar etc.

Here are my variations: I always bake it in a baking stone which makes it light and fluffy without the "custard", slimy bottom it can get in other pans. The other cool thing with the stone is that I don't have to fill it and it bakes just fine. I don't have the right size for this recipe so I simply don't spread it over the entire pan!

My girls are spoiled and usually have chocolate chips or m&m's. I sprinkle them over the top then pat them down with a spoon. This way they are evenly distributed and I can better control how much chocolate they get!




                                                              While it bakes I have them set the table.



When the timer starts beeping they come running and yelling that the baked oatmeal is finished!










Baked Oatmeal = Happiness at Breakfast!

3 comments:

  1. I'm about to squeal with excitment that I finally have your recipe!!! :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I love your photos of the kids!

    I just wanted to let you know that I'm having a giveaway of two signed books..The Artistic Mother and/or The Ultimate Cheapskate to followers who leave a comment on my giveaway post. Have a great week! Thanks so much for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! I'll have to try this with my kiddos, :) cute blog

    nicole visiting from
    http://lettersfromcoco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to compliment, be a critic, or just plain, comment! I'd love to hear from you.