Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On Husbands

Recently several of my friends and I have been asking our husbands questions. Real life changing questions. OK, so not that serious but for me, I do feel like it has changed my daily life perspective and priorities.
Here is the first question to ask, word it how you wish, this is how I worded mine:
  "If the entire Big House Estate was in a state of chaos, and the mistress had time to rectify one thing, what would you hope it to be?"
 I sent it in a text on a day in which there was literally EVERYTHING to do and ALL things were in a mess so I knew if he had eyes before he left for work, there was no room in the house in perfect order. Even the yard needed to be mowed, the van was dirty inside and out, the church wasn't cleaned yet...he had a lot to choose from.
  The hilarious response was, "Shave your legs". I nearly doubled over laughing! Of all things he would say was, "shave your legs". After a few texts of establishing that he was thinking the entire acreage, not just knees down, of "legs", I proceeded to take a shower and do just that.
Upon arriving home, he was lounging on the couch so I sat beside him. It wasn't long before the subject came up. When I told him, that yes, I did indeed go shave my legs (understand that I'm one of those that finds shaving to be too time consuming to bother on a daily basis) for him, he started to laugh. "You knew I was joking didn't you?!"
WHAT??? I went to all that bother just for him to be joking??? Well, fine, I now had smooth silky HAIRLESS, legs for...nothing.
After we had a good laugh over it I told him that I really did mean what I asked and would really like a serious answer! Took a little for him to figure out what I was driving at so finally I came up with saying it a little different. I told him that I had one hour in which I could clean up SOMETHING, and he has to chose what that something is. FINALLY I had my answer: laundry-not only washed but put away too!; a clean kitchen; and clean bathrooms.
 After I told my other friends of this little dialog and how I shaved my legs instead of doing laundry, they decided it was a good idea to not only ask about the surroundings but what about ourselves would our husbands like to have changed, improved or perhaps consistently done. Well, seems I already have my answer, unless he tells me again that it's only a joke!
Its been so fun getting the answers from the guys. Often, we are surprised what really actually bothers them. A few answers are: keep one sink empty of dishes (can wash his hands), nice looking yard, clean vehicle, uncluttered entryway, don't just pin up your bangs, shave your legs, look a little less conservative.
I challenge every married woman to ask her husband these questions. I have found new purpose to cleaning my bathrooms! I have a motive of love in doing these tasks that makes them a lot less painful and even fun. The first couple days I was so sick of washing dishes since I don't have a dishwasher and Belle is still too little to really wash without help. But I had a great motivator and I stuck to it. I still feel like I spend too much time in the kitchen but I just remember that I've changed my priorities and now, I do things for Nev, not for me.
A lot of other things don't get done that I would "normally" do but I now have a new "normal" and am slowly getting accustomed to it.
  I will add that I've done a lot of things "by the book" up until now. You know, you read all those great books on marriage and I seem to always read to have the toys picked up and the house always neat and tidy when the husband gets home. Well, what if the toys don't bother MY husband??? I was actually getting a little exhausted trying to do things that don't matter to him. He is quiet and won't complain about anything so to get out of him what he really likes is a trick in its self. So when I was told about this specific way of finding out, I jumped all over it! I waited for the right time and had to ask several times, in different ways, to effectively communicate what I was after.
  Books are great, but my husband is not a cookie from a cookie cutter. I have no idea how many times I have followed a book and found that it only aggravated the situation. I gave up. The only book that works is the Bible and waiting on God to give me words and wisdom, sometimes through hearing of a good question to ask!
  So, what will your husband say? I would love to hear more answers! We've had good laughs and good times doing this. Might I add, don't ask if you don't intend to do as you are told!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this article!! I've been doing a lot of soul searching myself to make things as awesome for my dear hubby as I can. The shaving legs part is hilarious!

    By the way, YOU WON!! my followers are special giveaway. :O) I'm about to post the prizes and the winners and it's first come first pick. So drop by in a few minutes. :o)

    Great post! Donna @ Comin' Home
    homemaking@eastex.net (need your address)

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, the shaving legs thing IS hilarious! :) I miss you guys..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going sister! :) I have done this in different ways too even with what bugs him with the children that I should be working on. I still struggle sometimes because what matters to him is soooo opposite what comes natural to me... N then what bugs me doesn't bug him at all!! I needed another reminder to slow down, not try to do it all and make my family happy.. God's been hammering it at me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I've been meaning to stop by and Thankyou for this post!!!:) Love it... and I did it... I'm linking to it from my blog. You can read my other thoughts about it there.:) Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you from Simply Living...what a great post. I'm going to incorporate this question-answer process into our next (weekly) date night. I hope he's ready to give me a serious answer.

    (And, I agree with the whole shaving legs is too time consuming--especially with 3 kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail on the head! I LOVE your thoughts on this husband stuff (as I do with anything you tell me that you're thinking about). I'm gonna try this with my husband as soon as I can get off the couch long enough to actually get something done. ;) I'm really inspired by your blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to compliment, be a critic, or just plain, comment! I'd love to hear from you.